Friday, January 27, 2012

Tony Hsieh's Vegas Experiment

Hi Vegas fans,
I read this article about Tony Hseih and thought I'd share it with you. He's the guy who helped put the zap! in Zappos and sold it for a ton o' money and is now focused on projects in Las Vegas. He's looking to build up the downtown area, which is a nice idea. It could really use some attention.

I think it will be really cool, but I hope it doesn't turn into a generic, plastic cityscape. True, any renovations are better than no renovations. But I really like the way that Fremont East has developed, and I hope that Hseih and his heroes have the same types of ideas. You won't find a TGI Friday's down there, or even a Starbucks. Cool bars and mom-and-pop type places to hang out and have a good time.

The Strip has become pretty corporate - let's face it, there are plenty of upscale shops there that can compete with Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. Downtown has always been a kind of "plain folks" atmosphere, and it will appeal to a larger audience if it stays that way.

Just my nickel slot opinion...
Viva,
Mike

4 comments:

dan in virginia said...

getting downtown and freemont street is still on my bucket list.

Mike Attisano said...

Do it on your next trip! Golden Nugget is a good place to hang out. It's the cleanest and nicest place down there.

dan in virginia said...

thanks !. we will see how things pan out,we seldom schedual anything at all other than 1 show,we wing it after that.
did tell my wife ill get past my odd phobia of statue ppl and have her get her picture taken,,,,,,,,, cant explain it,some ppl are afraid of clowns, my phobia is mimes and statue ppl.
but as a trade,ill see if she lets me pose with ashowgirl,oddly enough i just have not seen them anywhere on the strip but know they are down on freemont

Mike Attisano said...

Downtown often has showgirls and bunnies - I have my picture with both. You can also sometimes find a showgirl in front of the Mirage, but not as frequently as downtown.