Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Nook

Hi Vegas fans,

For those of you who keep up with electronic readers, Barnes & Noble has thrown their hat into the ring as a contender. Nook will be a rival to Amazon's Kindle. I own a Kindle, and of course Simplifying Las Vegas is listed on it. I will probably buy a Nook (eventually). It's $250 (so is Kindle now, by the way), which is a little expensive, especially for someone like me who writes more than he reads.

But, electronic readers are great on planes, you can store a ton of books on them, they are really easy to use, and if you read a bunch, you can save money on books. I think they are great for a travel guide because they allow you to search and find the information you need quickly. Let's face it, not everyone is going to read a Vegas travel guide cover to cover. I have inquired about publishing on Nook, and I hope to have Simplifying on there soon! I will keep you posted.

Nook's three biggest advantages, as far as I can see so far:
1. It has a touch screen (that's an "ooohhh" factor)
2. It has a color screen (that's the "aaahhh" factor)
3. You can share books with friends (assumes they like to read what you do)

Now, if they allow us authors to create html tables, I'm going to be very, very happy. Probably I'll take both Barnes & Noble out to dinner. You see, my beloved friends at Kindle do not allow tables, which is a bit of a problem for me, because that's about 75% of my book. So, I either have to do screenshots of the tables and post them as images (yuk) or transfer the table data into useful info within the text (eh). Either way, it's not ideal. Now I understand why they probably don't allow tables - when you resize the font, how to you accommodate for tables? But that's not really my problem. I want tables in my files and I wants em now!

Have you tested a Nook? Going to buy one? Please let me know!
Viva,
Mike

No comments: