Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Milestones

Hi all,

When I started my Flickr group a few months ago, I didn't know what to expect. It has taken off, and this week it topped 1000 photos from over 100 members. Of course, it's more about the quality than the quantity. And there's plenty of fantastic pictures out there.

It's amazing to me that whenever I glance at the pictures, I see a lot of similarities. There are lots of shots of the Bellagio fountains, Paris Eiffel Tower, the Wynn and Encore, the Strat, and the Fremont Street Experience. All iconic views of Vegas. Everyone's take is just a little different, just enough to make these scenes unique.

I love to see the pictures of odd places or seldom seen scenes, like the motels downtown or a closeup of a slot reel in black and white. These are difficult to get - at least I think they are. When I'm in Vegas, I don't want to think too much about taking a picturesque snapshot, or waiting until dawn Ansel Adams style for the right moment to take a picture. I'm lucky if it's in focus. My main goal is to get some good, small shots that I can put on the website and save to my screen saver on my home computer. Anything more than that is a bonus.

But for all you photographers and photo lovers out there, please feel free to look at the pictures and, if you'd like, add your pix to the group. You'll be in good company.

I'll have more to add in August when I take my next trip. Starting to count the days till I live up to my motto... go to Vegas. It's that simple.
Viva,
Mike

No comments: