Sunday, April 26, 2009

How I Prepare for a Trip to Vegas

Hi Vegas fans,

I put a lot of thought before I visit my home away from home. Some might say too much. Even my best friend told me recently, "you're not happy unless you're planning a trip to Vegas." True. I often start looking at prices, flight schedules, and events 6 to 9 months before my trip.

And I've done this enough now that I have a kind of mental list and timeline. If it looks kinda scary, well, it is, but I do leave a lot of wiggle room. After all, planning an entire trip to Vegas is really not possible, and even if it was, it wouldn't be much fun. But here's a typical scenario for me:



6-9 Months Before Trip:

  • Visit websites to find typical pricing and flights
  • Compare package deals vs. separate deals with coupons/discounts/comps

3-6 Months Before Trip:

  • Narrow down hotel choices
  • Visit hotel websites obsessively to see fun stuff to do, promos, etc.
  • Purchase trip online
  • Reserve rental car
  • Start thinking about music for trip

2-3 Months Before Trip:

  • Look for shows, events, concerts, etc. available during my stay
  • Frequently email/call friends going with me
  • Revert to ultimate cheapskate mode to save funds

1-3 Months Before Trip:

  • Ignore signs from friends that they are tired of me contacting them
  • Watch The Vegas Minute weekly video on www.vegas.com
  • Surf the Vegas Tourism website (www.visitlasvegas.com) frequently

3 Weeks Before Trip:

  • Confirm reservations
  • Print itinerary for trip
  • Practice blackjack

1-2 Weeks Before Trip:

  • Try to get some sleep
  • Start countdown with friends, which risks annoying them even more
  • Watch friends get caught up in frenzy as they start counting the days with me

Week of Trip:

  • Pack clothes
  • Prepare toiletry bag (little toothpaste tube, ibuprofen, Tums, vitamins, electric razor. Anything else is a bonus)
  • Check Vegas weather
  • Kindly ask friends/family NOT to give me $10 in quarters to play in the slots for them (yes, I have some old school friends/family)
  • Burn cool CD for friends to remember our trip
  • Charge camera batteries
  • Charge Kindle

Day Before Trip:

  • Pack remaining stuff (Kindle, camera, phone charger, etc)
  • Review checklist and travel documents
  • Put bags near door; ensure iPod, headphones, Kindle, phone are easy to access
  • Print boarding pass
  • Double-check flight schedule

Day of Trip:

  • Relax and enjoy. After all, I think I have pretty much everything covered...

    So how 'bout you? What do you do before your trips to Sin City?
    Viva,
    Mike

1 comment:

raviiv said...


Enjoy your stay with spacious rooms equipped with vtravelzmodern amenities like quality furniture and furnishings.