Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Wayne Newton's Career

Wayne Newton is 67 years old and currently headlining the Tropicana with his show, "Once Before I Go." I think the title pretty much tells us that this may be it for Mr. Las Vegas. His career has spanned 6 decades, so he deserves a rest from the biz.

But it might be a while before he can actually start collecting those Social Security checks. He's being sued and owes a lot of money, and it's possible that he could lose his ranch (Shenandoah). This isn't the first time he's been in financial trouble. In 1992, he claimed bankruptcy after a long, bitter lawsuit with NBC. Back then, he worked this way out of debt. Depending on the outcome of the suits against him now, he may need to do that again.

And that may be difficult. His voice is weak (after all, he has been singing for over 60 years!) and his show has not been as successful as other comeback tours. In addition to his financial woes, he's had family issues (his daughter is very sick and his sister recently died unexpectedly). Still, he is out there singing and giving it his best shot.

His success has been clearly documented - at his peak he was one of the most prolific and highest paid entertainers. His shows in the past received rave reviews, mostly above criticism and cynicism. Let's face it, it's probably not always been easy to be "Mr. Las Vegas" - especially before the Big Vegas Boom that started the early 90s.

There are some things about Wayne Newton that kind of make me cringe. Like his legendary battle with Johnny Carson, which even he admits hurt him more than Carson. And he's barely spoken to his brother after a rift when they were kids and performed together.

And then there are things that impress me. His tours with the USO and commitment to entertaining troops, for example. And how many entertainers do you know play 13 instruments? Or have performed 25,000 shows in Las Vegas... and that number was recorded over 16 years ago! Not unlike the history of Vegas, the history of Wayne Newton seems complex with peaks and valleys.

And there are still chapters to unfold before he hangs up the tux. Right now, it seems like Mr. Las Vegas still loves performing, and that's the main reason why he's on stage. I would hate to think that he will need to continue to perform for financial reasons long after he's ready to retire. I wish him luck and hope he can ride into the sunset on one of his beautiful Arabian horses... once before he goes.

Viva,
Mike

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike,
I had to write you and thank you so very much for the wonderful article that you wrote about Wayne. I have been coming to Las Vegas for over 32 years just to see Wayne. My family and I planned every show around Wayne's shows.
I am so thankful to you for writing about all the good that Wayne has accomplished throughout his 60 year career. He is still the best performer that ever stepped on a stage. He has a charisma about him like no other.
Of course his voice isn't what it once was, but you will still get your money's worth when you go to see Wayne. He is so very talented and he can still sing. He just isn't as perfect as he once was. I have never seen anyone perform and sing the way he did in his prime.
I love this man with all of my heart and I get so upset when people start running him down. He has done so much for our Soldiers and I even remember when he was doing two shows a night, and someone across town would call in sick,Wayne would go fill in for them.
He is a charming man. The kindest man you will ever meet and he has a charming family.
I am praying for Erin's health as well as for Wayne and his finacial situation. I only hope he doesn't get his ranch taken from him after working so hard for 50 years in Vegas alone, and really putting Las Vegas on the map.
You made me cry when I read your most gracious article about Wayne.
I agree with you. I hope he can ride off in the sunset also on one of his prized possesions!!!
My thoughts and prayers are with them all,
Judy Youngblood

Mike Attisano said...

Judy,
Thank you so much for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed the blog. Wayne is really such an important figure in Las Vegas history. Like many entertainers, he has had his share of problems. But he doesn't complain, he just works harder. You have to respect that!

I hope you get to see Wayne again before he retires.
Thanks again!
Mike

Unknown said...

Mike,
I too hope I get to see Wayne before he retires. I saw him in Tulsa on Oct.17TH and he really sounded exceptionally well that night. I was so glad! I know Wayne is doing the production "Once Before I Go". but he has said that he really enjoys doing his regular show better. He is so spontaneous and loves singing and interacting with the audience.
You are most welcome for my comment. It was well deserved.
I have never read such a heartfelt review about Wayne in so many years and it really touched me.
He is a very hard worker as you said, and I just hope he can pull out of all of this.
He is "so special" to so many people.
He will be sorely missed when he does retire!!
Judy