Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Hangover

Hi Vegas Fans,

Saw The Hangover this weekend with my lovely wife, Martha. You probably know the basic plot - guys decide to go to Vegas for a bachelor party and wake up the next day with problems. It's a funny movie, but I probably enjoyed it so much because of all the Vegas stuff. I don't want to give any of the funniest parts of the movie away, so all I can say is go see it and enjoy it.

It made me think about wild times in Sin City. I can think of some stuff I've done in Vegas that I don't usually do anywhere else, but I can't say that I get too crazy. In fact, watching The Hangover probably made me more cautious because I don't want to end up in the kinds of messes the 4 guys in the movie did!

And as I approach the big 4-0 (next April, when I'll be planning a huge b-day bash in Vegas), I wonder about how crazy I am now as opposed to when I was younger. In some ways, I'm more tame, but then there's something about Vegas (I dunno... gambling, drinking, feasting and so on) that brings out the nut in me. If I didn't have this outlet to blow off a little steam now and then, I'd probably bottle it up and go super batty. And nobody wants that.

So for me, it's like opening the valve on the pressure cooker ever-so-slightly every 6-12 months. It's too dangerous to keep it bottled up, and yet you can get burned if you let it out too fast too often. Balance is not a word typically used in Vegas, but it's a good idea, whether you are thinking about money, partying, driving, or whatever. Just make sure you (or someone you trust) can keep your head on somewhat straight so that you don't wind up in jail, broke (worse), dead (even worse) or all of the above (aaaiiieee!) in one weekend.

Above all, have fun the next time you... Go to Vegas. It's that simple.

Viva,
Mike

No comments: