Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mike Tyson's One Man Show

Former heavyweight champ, Mike Tyson, will perform his one-man show, entitled "Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth - Live on Stage" at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas April 13-18. Ironically, the MGM is the same venue that Tyson got hungry and decided to snack on Evander Hollyfield's ear in a 1997 bout.

It's always a little disappointing to me to see an exceptional athlete or entertainer peak so quickly and then decline even faster. It is difficult to stay at the top - there are always people chasing you, critics, distractions - but it seems the faster they rise, the harder they fall (see Lindsay Lohan).

I'm not sure what to make of Tyson's decision to venture into theatrical performance. From the interviews I have seen with him lately, he's trying to turn his life around. And much like Wayne Newton, there are reasons I want to pull for him, I want him to do well. It would be too easy to want him to fail and then say "he had it coming." I like success stories.

But I'm not sure this is the way to do it. It seems odd to me that he has taken this path to try to turn the tables and reach out to people. I'm always a little leery of people seeking the spotlight to regain favor after it was the very same spotlight that showed their flaws. It does take guts, though, and that's something that Tyson has a-plenty. It still seems strange, though... but after all, life is pretty strange.

Viva,
Mike

No comments: