Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hey! What Happened to the Visit Las Vegas Web Site?

Hi Vegas fans,

I'm a big fan of updating web sites - making improvements, adding new stuff, creating new content, and so on. But, you have to make sure the changes are in the right direction. The new Visit Las Vegas site is different, and there are some things I like about it, but I'm not sure it's better than their previous site. Hmm.... As I'm thinking about it, here's a pros and cons list:

Pros
  • Streamlined navigation - it is easier to find what you are looking for with the new drop-down lists

  • Cool images - nice, big pictures that promote fun

  • More content - because they have made their navigation simpler, you can find more information faster

Cons

  • Generic look - although the images are nifty, it looks a little like most other websites you've seen

  • Maps - they used to have the best Vegas maps on this site, but they've moved them to their sister site, lvca.com. The maps on Visit Las Vegas are more generic.

  • Missing persona - you used to be able to create your own persona on the site, complete with a Visit Las Vegas-generated nickname. Mine was something like "wild biscuit." But that has gone away, and now my biscuit is dry.

  • Itinerary builder - I'm not a big fan of they way they do this. You visit the site, picking out the things that you like, then add them to your itinerary. On my site, I give you a different approach, and of course it is also free. If you want a customized itinerary, you can get one when you purchase my book.
Well, overall the Visit Las Vegas site is not bad, just a little less fun and goofy than the previous one. I suggest visiting lvca.com for a fun, interactive Las Vegas web site where you can find lots of information and use the best online Vegas maps of any site I've seen.Viva,Mike

No comments: