Sunday, August 9, 2009

6:5 Blackjack - Just Say No!

Hi Vegas fans,

As I'm getting ready to head out to Sin City in a few weeks, I am thinking about where I'm going to play my beloved blackjack. In February, there were still a few good places left to partake in $5, 3:2 blackjack.

I like playing at Excal, Trop, the Strat, and anywhere downtown (particularly the Golden Nugget). These are all laid back, fun places to play with good rules. If I want to play $10, I'll try some other MGM properties, such as the Grad, NY NY, Mirage, etc. Even the Wynn and Encore offer $10 tables with good rules.

You'll notice I left out Harrah's properties. All of their blackjack tables, upon last check, are 6:5. That's very bad for the player - about 8 times worse, in fact, than 3:2 blackjack. Avoid at all costs 6:5 blackjack. If you're not sure, ask the dealer what blackjack pays. Don't even sit down until you are sure the game is 3:2.

I wish Harrah's would change their rules. And, I wish that all properties would post their blackjack payouts. On every table, you'll see how much insurance pays and the dealer's rules for hitting/staying on soft 17. Insurance always pays 3:2, and most low-minimum tables (i.e. the ones I play) now hit on soft 17 (bad for the player, but not that bad). So, my plea is to remove the insurance payout on the felt and substitute it for the blackjack payout. Please.

It would be great if more of the blackjack rules were posted somewhere, instead of having to ask every time you split, double down, etc. But you just have to live and learn in most cases.

I'll keep you posted on the rules and what I find at the tables the next time I... Go to Vegas. It's that simple.

Viva,
Mike

No comments: